Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Up Close and Personal with Nature

 In the last 24 hours, I have had, what can only be described as, an epic battle with technology.  I wanted to upload a 2 minute video taken on my iPhone to our desktop computer.  How hard can it be?  Turns out, implausibly difficult with neither my iPhone or our pc wishing to talk to each other.   

Increasingly lately, I think find myself thinking that modern life is rubbish - with advances in technology designed to make life run more smoothly, actually having the opposite effect, rendering simple tasks needlessly time consuming.

This isn't just an excuse for a moan.  It's to celebrate the odd life hack the modern world throws our way.  

Let me explain.  Recently, I participated in a virtual lecture delivered by renowned Macro Photographer, Colleen Slater, organised by Wolverhampton Photographic Society.  Go check her out, her work is fascinating.

Photo Credit:  Colleen Slater

The above example is a close up shot of the textures and patterns in a concrete wall.  To me it looks like a wintry moonlit landscape.

Macro photography is something I have been keen to explore for a long time.  I love that it's possible to photograph small things up close, making them appear larger than life size.  Imagine the possibilities!  Who wouldn't want to get up close and personal with nature?

The only snag is that photography is an expensive pursuit and the perfect Macro lens is no exception.  

Buoyed up by Colleen's talk, I decided that if a Macro lens can be 70-105mm, maybe I could make it work with my 24-70mm lens.




After a number of failed attempts, I finally got this snowflake shot.  It's not perfect, but it really inspired me to do more.






I finally hit upon the concept of extension tubes and made an impulsive online purchase of 3 extension tubes for just under £40.00.  That's a big saving considering that macro lenses can be dangerously close to £1,000.  These tubes (Shoot) work quite well with my 50mm lens.  They feel a little clunky to attach but so far, are bringing quite pleasing results.


It might not feel like it today, huddled as I am by the radiator, but Spring has most definitely sprung!  So here are a few from my recent macro adventures:-


Tulip

Viewing things in close up is a revelation.  It striking how nature often mirrors the human body at a mechanical and and cellular level.  These catkins for example.  Look familiar?  An Instagram follower pointed out to me that they look just like spinal columns.  She definitely has a point.



These ivy berry buds might ultimately be a calorific source of calories for birds (akin to chocolate), but to me they look more nightmarish.  We've all had enough of the C word, but don't they look like a virus?


Finally, this dead leaf, with its visible veins, which could almost pass for a hair parting and its lace pattern like dry skin on hands.


 I'm off now to hunt down some heavy duty moisturiser before it's too late!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Forest Bathing

Last Sunday dawned bright and beautiful; the perfect Spring day.  So where better to celebrate and soak up some sun to top up our vitamin D ...