Saturday, March 5, 2022

Beauty and the Beast

Peculiar and somewhat prophetic, captured exactly four days before the Ukrainian Invasion, we stumbled across this abandoned shooting range - a relic of the second World War.  Unbelievably, this austere wartime relic is a short walk away from the centre of Carding Mill Valley, the National Trust managed Shropshire beauty spot.







Abandoned buildings always have unsettling atmospheres...



...a feeling of time suspended...





...a sense of unfinished business...a tug of war between past and present, for the building's heart and soul.







However, at times like this, it is vital to remind ourselves that there is still beauty in this world and wide angle, black and white landscapes can help do just that.





Here is St Laurence's Church (Grade I listed) in Church Stretton with its Norman nave, Victorian aisles and 13 grade II listed structures within its churchyard.  



A frequent failure on my part, I tend to do my research later (usually because we don't plan in minute detail our activities in advance) and then regret it when I discover key elements I wish I had captured for posterity.  In this case, I later discovered that the Church bears a rare Sheela-na-gig above its Norman doorway.  If you don't already know what this is, you might want to Google it to spare my blushes.  Apparently, a stone has been strategically placed to protect the modesty of this one.

When the news became too much to bear, we headed deep into Worcestershire's Wyre Forest (the largest woodland National Nature Reserve in England) to experience nothing but the sound of the gentle spring breeze rustling the trees and the melodic, blissfully ignorant bird song.  The forest dates back to at least the year 900 and covers the equivalent area of 1700 football pitches.  








This week has been a conveyor belt of uniquely varied meetings, notably with a local celebrant, the National Trust (to agree some student work experience) and a representative of the shiny new Glass Museum, ahead of its opening.  I'm also checking and charging camera equipment in readiness for an Islamic house wedding photo shoot next weekend.

In the meantime, a couple of purchases to share with you - some light relief.  First up, an immaculate Broiderie Anglais white dress, purchased by its original owner in 1969 and worn once for a garden party in the same year.  I had envisaged using this for a photo shoot with a willing model (which I still plan to do), but I'm thinking it may find its way into my summer wardrobe with a little "toughening up" styling.



Lastly, I can't remember the last time I bought a pair of earrings.  I tend to wear the same little silver sleepers on repeat.  I never seem to find any second hand earrings I like and fancied a departure from my usual preferred precious metal, silver.  After a little research, I came across the Parisienne Agape Studio, creators of contemporary, affordable pieces, inspired by ancient culture.  Even better, Agape pieces are coated using sustainable, recycled batches of 24 carat gold.  

Here's the link.  https://agape-studio.com/pages/about


My belated Birthday treat arrived on Friday, beautifully presented in a little vegan leather pouch and were exactly what I was looking for.  I chose the Alba earrings, inspired by the ancient Persian civilisation and symbols of sensuality and charm.  I'm hoping some of this might rub off on me.  

And so another Saturday rolls around.  I'm now making some headway into my latest read, The Mercies...


...and eagerly awaiting the second episode of season 6 of Peaky Blinders.  I can't bring myself to binge watch this.  I want to savour its artistry and performances.

I've made a conscious decision to watch the news during daylight hours and avoid the late bulletin.  It's just too much.  I made some headway into getting together a package to donate to one of the local collection points, a Polish Church in Dudley.  However, after hearing stories of some collection points being overwhelmed, I'm wondering whether a cash donation might be a better option...?

Having recently produced a set of postcards which includes this jaded sunflower, some of its beauty is now lost to me, given its symbolic link to Ukraine.  This photograph now seems to reflect the country's current desperate situation.



I much prefer to keep these sunflowers in mind (photographed in a field near Sarlat, France) and like us all, try and somehow will this war to end.


As I type, the sun has retreated behind a blanket of white cloud and the wind is quickening.  Not that it matters today, for this afternoon we're off to unleash an afternoon with the Evanses on our friends, Bob and Caroline.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!  Sending positive vibes in return for your news!

8 comments:

  1. Hello Claire, super pictures of your latest eerie derelict building find. Well isn't a sheela-na-gig a rude Gertrude!!! I had no idea this is what they were... although I do know of PJ Harvey song 'Sheela-na-gig'. Talking of Polly, that white dress is very 'White Chalk' era. All you need now is an autoharp, some boots and a ghostly photo shoot at the abandoned range!

    I think you are right to avoid the late night TV news bulletin- I find they lead to sleepless nights. It is important to know what's going on though- so BBC Radio 4's morning news has been echoing in our kitchen. Your sunflower is very apt. Take care m'luverly xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lulu. I knew I had heard Sheela-na-gig somewhere! Of course it was Polly Harvey! Yes, we’re trying to get a handle on what is going on through a variety of news sources. I shall add radio 4 to the list. The sun is shining here this morning so fresh air beckons. Wishing you a happy Sunday! xxx

      Delete
  2. I love a derelict building, there's something marvellously atmospheric about them, isn't there? I've seen Carding Mill in the NT book but never been, it looks like the ideal place to blow the cobwebs away and to escape the news for a bit.
    You sound excitingly busy.
    That dress is gorgeous, I can totally see it with combat boots and a beaten up leather jacket. I love those earrings, too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carding Mill Valley is beautiful. It's a walker's paradise with some lovely picnic spots along a babbling stream. There's a fabulous pub in nearby Little Stretton too and if you can make it into the hills, your reward will be an encounter with the wild ponies (and a curious foal or two if you're lucky). Yes, I'm thinking along the same lines for styling the white dress, to keep it firmly out of Bride of Frankenstein territory. I'm so pleased with the earrings! xxx

      Delete
  3. lets start with the pretty dress and the beautiful earrings! well done!
    your photos of the ruins and the b&w landscapes are very athmospheric..... just wonderful. and the full blooming sunflowers are a perfect sign for hope.......
    much love! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate. I am pleased with the dress, although I need to have a play around with accessories. I do love the timeless quality of a black and white landscape. There's always hope, but it seems in short supply at the moment for the poor Ukrainians. xxx

      Delete
  4. I too love a derelict building, and I was astounded to read that this one's near Carding Mill valley, which we have visited and want to visit again in June if all goes well. I am the same as you and often forget to do my research in advance, except when we go on holiday so, funnily enough, I knew about the Sheela-na-gig in Church Stretton! As luck would have it, though, there was some construction work going on at the time of our visit, so another reason to go back! Like Lulu, I was reminded of the PJ Harvey song of the same name, which somewhat gives the game away in the "you exhibitionist" part :-)
    Your photos are stunning as always, and I'm swooning over that Broderie Anglaise frock.
    Unlike the news, which I'm avoiding as much as I can, Sunflowers never fail to put a smile on my face, especially when photographed against a brilliant blue sky. A perfect symbol of hope! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem an unlikely spot for such a building. I'm happy to provide directions if you do make it to Carding Mill valley. You are clearly better informed that we are about some of Shropshire's architectural details. Our ancestors had weird and wonderful imaginations for sure...the Sheela-na-gig must be one of the more bizarre concepts for warding off evil spirits. I agree with you about sunflowers. There's always hope. xxx

      Delete

It's Art Darling!

It's been a little over a fortnight since I last posted, but it feels like an age.  The weather's been challenging.  Naturally, as s...