Monday, June 26, 2023

Waltzing Along

 The title of this blog is a track by Indie band James, one of our all time favourite bands.  We went to see them last week with our friend Ade and his son, Billy.  They've been going for a whopping 40 years now, but their clean living frontman, Tim Booth (who, incidentally, also attended a boarding school just over the border from us in Shrewsbury) is still in fine voice.

It was a double celebration so beers were consumed.  



Ade was marking a landmark birthday...and as for Gareth and I, a little over 22 years ago, we got married at a local country house where we partied until dawn.  The owner was extremely accommodating, if a little eccentric and pretty much let us have free run of the place.  One of my abiding memories of that day was our impromptu midnight "Library Disco."  The band we had booked to play outside earlier in the evening, had long since departed.  We had planned for this eventuality by bringing along our CD player, knowing that no one would be ready to call it a night until the wee small hours.  In this photo, we're all singing along to James's "Sit Down."

We've seen James a number of times over the years and they always deliver.  


Still on a high from this, we were excited to get the best seats for Glastonbury (shimmying between our living room and garden sofas).  

Whilst I still hold out hope of visiting Glastonbury Festival some day, this year we were grateful to be a few strides away from the refrigerator and the shade of the garden.  I'm not moaning....I'm not...but the heat has been intense and we seem to have evaded the predicted thunder storms.   

We saw Billy No Mates, Foo Fighters, Manic Street Preachers, The Pretenders (amazing), Arctic Monkeys, Guns n Roses, a sprinkling of Young Fathers, Sparks, Kelis, Texas, Sparks, Queens of the Stone Age and Rick Astley (covering a number of Smiths songs).  For me though, the standout performance was Cat Stevens (fine voice, fine human being).  

I saw Sunday's headliner, Elton John when I was 18 and recall feeling quite bored, but decided to watch his headline slot on Sunday anyway.  Sadly, this time my experience was no different.  I like a few of his songs and he's undisputedly talented, but for some reason, I once again found myself drifting.  He just doesn't do it for me.  However, I'm obviously in the minority, judging by the humungous audience.

In between watching Glasto coverage, we squeezed in our annual Mini & VW Meet just down the road.



Headlight selfie!

Sunday's weather was scorching hot and many people took shelter in the shade of our trade stand.  Friends joined us, bringing along their cool cars, company and ensuring that the music played on.






The few photos I took on Sunday need little explanation apart from the winner of "Best VW T4" which was conceived and created by its Welsh owner, Jon Power.  The attention to detail was phenomenal and the entire build took him six months.  I loved the copper bar with its soft close fuel can drawers and of course, the occupier, Evie.

Back at home, garden wildlife is everywhere to see.

Fledgling Blackbird

Speckled Wood Butterfly


Nosey Wood Pigeon


Green Bottle Fly

But this has to be the most spectacular mini beast I've ever seen.  I say "mini beast" but with a wing span of around 10 cm, this Hawk Moth spotted resting on our water butt on Friday night, looked as if it could take on the world.  Surely, this is a "festival ready" insect if ever there was one!  



This week will be all about preparing for our long awaited mini break.  For those of you who know me well, will know that I would rather put needles in my eyes than fly.  However, life is short, this place looks pretty special and there's really only one way to reach our chosen destination.  We're also hoping to catch up with the Glasto Queen at the airport before we leave.

So where are we going?  Ending on a song, here's a clue.


See you soon!






10 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary! I have never heard of James, but will check them out. I love the old picture - your wedding sounds like it was a blast.

    All those bands at Glasto! So cool. I saw Elton John in concert here several years ago, and endured the entire show with a "man-spreader" invading my seat. It was so hugely uncomfortable and distracting, I really don't remember anything from the actual performance.

    I hope your flight goes well - you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila!
      I had a man spreader in front of me at the James gig. In the end, we were forced to move and fortunately found ourselves closer to the stage for the last few songs.
      Thanks for the pep talk! x

      Delete
  2. PRAGUE!!
    its practically our neighborhood - only a 2 hour train ride!
    you will love this city!
    i´m impressed that so much bands and artists from my youth are still around.... rick astley! manic street preachers! guns´n roses.
    the james concert sounds like a gorgeous event - even the youngsters were happy it seems ;-D
    that back of the T4 is a stunner - must show it to the BW! thanx for the photo report btw...... and wonderful pics of the little creatures - that moth is impressive.
    yesterday it was ROARING hot here to - unbearable. but in the evening and night we got flooded with rain - thankfully. now it´s much better......
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So close? I'm really starting to wish we had booked a longer trip. :-(
      Yes, it was quite a nostalgia trip this year and some of them still sound great!
      James are a very special band, so accomplished and creative and Tim Booth always seems to have a hypnotic hold over the audience.
      I forgot to include one photo of the back of the T4. In the boot lid there was even a copper spider in a web made from copper wire.
      Glad you're enjoying cooler conditions. The temperature here has dropped significantly today too and there's a smattering of rain. xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh, James, that definitely takes me back! I had no idea they were still around. Nor did I know that Tim Booth attending boarding school in Shrewsbury!
    Watching Glastonbury from the comfortable living room and garden seats sounds absolutely perfect! It has been hot, hasn't it? Although we did escape most of it while in Shropshire, we came back to +30°C ...
    Loving the photos of the annual Mini & VW Meet. That VW T4 is just stunning, and how gorgeous is Evie!
    Your wildlife photos are spectacular, how fantastic is that Hawk Moth.
    Have a safe trip, and enjoy Prague! Can't wait to read all about it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no sign of James slowing down any time soon. Tim Booth is soon to release his first novel too!
      It has been very hot and humid. The temperature has dropped by about 10 degrees today though. Quite a difference.
      Glad you liked the Mini and VW pics. The owner was showing off the bass on his speaker system and Evie didn't bat an eyelid. :-)
      Despite being pretty common, I had never seen a Hawk Moth before.
      I'm planning to pack light in case I see any bargains while I'm in Prague! xxx

      Delete
  4. James are fabulous, aren't they? Tim Booth is such a character, I love him.
    You saw more of Glast than we did. I really wanted to see The Pretenders when I heard they were one of the special guests, Stuart & Kim offered to shop sit but they were on the Park Stage and it's such a slog from our pitch. They were wonderful at Cornbury back in 2018, they made me cry!
    Fantastic photos, as always.
    I'm so excited for your Prague adventure, see you shortly! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed!
      I felt the same as you about The Pretenders. They've been around forever and she is still on great form. A proper rock 'n' roll front woman! xxx

      Delete
  5. Oh I had to watch all of that INXS video ;) Love the wedding pictures of you all doing 'all sit down'. An old friend of mine used to go & watch James a lot & rave about them. The copper bar in the mini is incredible xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...yes, for some reason I always have to watch INXS videos in their entirety too!
      James haven't lost their touch! xxx

      Delete

It's Art Darling!

It's been a little over a fortnight since I last posted, but it feels like an age.  The weather's been challenging.  Naturally, as s...