Saturday, August 24, 2024

Alienation

I've photographed a fair few events and weddings this year.  I've noticed that my nature photography - my first love - has been somewhat lacking in recent months.  There are a number of reasons for this; taking a break from the screen and digital photography, but mainly, my personal need to try new things and experiment.  Still, inspiration didn't come calling and a project didn't spring to mind.  

A few days ago, I was checking emails and noticed a pen on the desk with a topper from a long, long time ago and a galaxy far, far away.  Well, not quite Star Wars, but a little alien featured in the 70s/80s instant potato mash adverts.  This pen topper has survived Gareth's school days and stayed with us all of this time.  I decided he might make a compliant companion for a fun and quirky photo project.  I immediately set about seeking out alien looking environments - all within the boundary of our property.  

So, without further ado, meet Zebe.  Here he is, chilling in his garden.




Topping up the blue...even aliens sunbathe.


Eek!  He spotted me!  Fear not, he's friendly.  No probing took place.


In reflective mood.

I thought he might be mercurial, but I couldn't have been more wrong.  We've become firm friends.



As you might imagine, Zebe is well travelled.  He's a frequent visitor to Earth's satellite...


...and Mars, his home.  


But after all of those air miles, he's earned a rest.


Even though he can use his antennae to pick up any music he likes, Zebe still appreciates a retro radio listening session.  Here he is enjoying Fontaines DC on FM.


He also joined me on a trip to Ashwood Nurseries...driving his beat up but forever reliable old earthly vehicle, the VW Golf...



...and enjoyed the familiarity some of the more exotic looking plants offered him.




Peekaboo!  He's started to get the hang of this modelling lark.


Fancy seeing you here!



Hitching a ride on a giant ladybird.


Yellow is definitely his colour!


Zebe felt very at home here.


Not so comfortable.  Even aliens get probed from time to time.


After a busy day, Zebe returned home as it was techno night at his local nightclub.   I'll let you into a secret.  Aliens don't sleep.


Have I lost my mind?  You decide.



8 comments:

  1. Zebe is definitely living his best life. No retirement for the little guy yet, it seems, now that he's found a second career as a model! Brilliant post and fabulously fun photos! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I'm now having to talk to his people to book him for future assignments! xxx

      Delete
  2. this is so very cute and genius!!!
    claire - you made my day by putting a big smile on my face..... zebe is a perfect model and the photos are brilliant - technical and in the way of story telling.
    love it!!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate!
      I'm so glad it's brightened your day! I'm having fun with it. :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. Zebe is adorable, I'm amazed he survived Gareth's schooldays. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are such fun pictures, Claire! Party on, Zebe!

    ReplyDelete

Lustre and A Libertine

I can't believe I'm typing this just a couple of days after the announcement that our meteorological summer is over.  I'm only j...