Wednesday, April 24, 2024

It's Art Darling!

It's been a little over a fortnight since I last posted, but it feels like an age.  The weather's been challenging.  Naturally, as soon as I decided to pack away some of my dead-of-winter clothes, the temperature plummeted.  In the last couple of weeks, we've had rain, storm force winds, sunny spells, hail, rain, dramatic clouds, rain, frost, the most incredible weekend of sunshine (more of that shortly) and yes, you guessed it, rain!


I was forced to abandon a planned Steampunk styled wedding shoot due to a key supplier dropping out at the last minute, which was frustrating to say the least.  However, I consoled myself with the fact that it would probably have been abandoned in any event due to the incessant rain.  After licking my wounds for a short time, I'm now in the early stages of planning a styled wedding shoot paying homage to the 1960s.  Here's a glimpse of my mood board.


In the meantime, what have I been up to?  Well, I took the train into the heart of our second city, Birmingham.  Departing from Stourbridge Junction, it occurred to me that this little station has to be one of the most aesthetically pleasing railway stations in the West Midlands.  


It even has its own resident cat, George.  Sadly George was too busy hunting to pose for a photo when I visited.  He's also very busy with his publicist, having his own Facebook page to maintain.  Link here if you're interested.  Facebook

My chosen destination, Digbeth, is undergoing a process of regeneration (or gentrification).  Since my last visit, there have been subtle but notable changes, including some pavement planting areas and garden benches.  The laying of the tram lines continues in earnest.

Whilst I enjoyed a wander around Red Brick Market, I think some of the units were possibly in the process of changing hands.  A number of the units were being cleared on the day of my visit, so the market felt a great deal emptier than usual and I left empty handed.  However, the real star of the show is Digbeth's vibrant and ever changing street art, captured here with my iphone (as much as I love the place, I don't really want to risk taking my big girl camera).




Thanks for the offer Ozzy!  Don't mind if I do!





A favourite rainy day activity - and there have been many rainy days lately - is trawling around Antiques Centres.  My Mom accompanied me on one such visit and had fun trying on some of the vintage hats.  





What passes for antiques these days never ceases to amaze me.  With nothing really catching my eye, I made it my mission to photograph some of the more kitsch and downright bad taste items for sale.  








Which one is your favourite?

With all of this inclement weather, I've decided that one can never have too many pairs of boots.  Here are some recent additions.  

Frye boots.  I've had these for a while, but forgot to share them.  They were a Vinted purchase, but so much more comfortable and lightweight than my Frye Campus knee high boots.


I've replaced my old, cracked DMs with a blue patent pair.  Another Vinted purchase, they were new without the box and a fraction of their retail sale price.

We may not be enjoying much in the way of spring weather, but the garden is doing its thing.  The ferns are unfurling...


...and the Euphorbia is out.


Walks have been less frequent.  That can't continue.  We have wet weather gear, but the icy wind takes much of the pleasure out of it.  However, on one of our walks, we encountered this handsome fellow staring intently at his owner, willing her to join him in the pond.


I snapped up this little studded cross body Topshop bag - perfect for housing my essential working accoutrements; those bits and pieces that won't fit into a camera bag full of lenses, namely lip balm, specs, phone and lens wipes.


In other news, the film poster for the short film I recently took stills for, has dropped.  


Spurred on by being asked to submit a photograph for the film's publicity, I set up my tripod and took a few photographs.  Now you all know I'm not that comfortable in front of the camera, but it's always a good working exercise.  For your information, it's also very laborious as I use what is technically referred to as "the running back and forth method."  Basically, this means set up camera, focus on a spot, try to run to said spot, strike a pose and hope for the best.  I know, I know, I should probably set up a remote trigger or tether my camera to my phone, but I feel just a tiny bit pleased with myself when I get it right.  I like to suffer for my art!


In the event, I used none of the photos from the rainy day session and just sent them an iphone snap from last year.  Tut tut!

Life is full of strange and funny coincidences.  Last year, we met local artist Dion Kitson in the rubble of The Crooked House.  He insisted I took his photograph.  

He has a great sense of humour and he and Gareth got along quite well; Dion creating witty signs expressing the community's outrage, Gareth salvaging pieces from the rubble to create a fireplace/bar "shrine" incorporating rather telling petrol cans and a urinal (just out of shot) scrawled with "Taking the p**s".



I nearly spat my wine out when he popped up on Channel 4's Late Night Lycett as the man behind the fake Banksy that had made the news recently.  Comedian Joe Lycett and Dion are friends and collaborated on a recent fake story, creating a piece of art with all the Banksy hallmarks, to see just how many fake stories they could get into the press.  Here's the story:

Joe Lycett behind Banksy mural hoax in Birmingham - BBC News

As for The Crooked House story.  The owners have appealed the order to rebuild.  The hearing is scheduled for August.

So that brings me pretty much up-to-date.  Last weekend, I photographed the most amazing festival wedding (think black dress, bluebells, neurofunk and golden hour portraits), so I'm now busy working through approximately 400 photographs, so forgive me if I don't leave a comment on your blog.  I'll be having a mega catch up later this week!








10 comments:

  1. You have been busy...where do I start?
    I had no idea that Stourbridge station was so pretty. Your photos of Digbeth's graffiti are fabulous and I'd noticed a lot of empty spaces last time I went to Red Brick. Mind you with the congestion charge and parking around there, what with the rental costs and commission having a stall can't be financially viable for most traders sadly.
    You and your Mum look gorgeous in black and white,moody and magnificent. Antiques are so yesterday, it's all about the look these days or so the TV shows keep telling us.
    I love those Frye boots and your Toppers bag.
    What a crazy coincidence with Dion, I must have missed that fake Banksy story somehow. so ta for the link.
    I'm loving the unfurling of the ferns in our garden but not a fan of this cold weather. Jacob's back inside again!
    I've got an amazing 1960s wedding dress - very Priscilla Presley. You are more than welcome to it, it'd fit into your mood board a treat! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about Red Brick. Such a shame.
      Thank you! My Mom's much more at ease in front of the camera. :-D
      Lovely to see you last night and thanks for the loan of the dress! xxx

      Delete
  2. tons of art!
    fabulous post dear claire!
    so you had the perfect april weather :-D good that you have comfy chic boots to keep your feet warm & dry......
    a shame about the canceled shooting. but your notes for the 60s wedding look cool and stylish. i´m in that age that all the parents around got marriet in the 60s - so i saw tons of original pics :-D
    looove your self portraits!!!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate!
      It's typically April in that we are getting plenty of showers, but the temperatures are lower than average for the time of year and the showers are more like prolonged spells, but it's picking up next week I think.
      Fingers crossed for the 60s shoot. It'll probably be some time in September to avoid clashing with wedding season, so plenty of time to plan!
      Thank you! xxx

      Delete
  3. I loved reading about Dion/Joe Lycett and the fake Banksy! Your vision for a 60s wedding is lovely, I think they did it big and fake in those days from what I remember - lots of eyeliner, pearlised nail varnish, and big hair. Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty. It was a pretty good fake wasn't it? I thought the ruby slippers tossed over the wire was a clever touch.
      Good shout on the nail varnish! Heavy eye make up is definitely a must. :-)

      Delete
  4. I'm actually rather relieved you haven't posted a ton, as I'm also trying to keep up! We've been dealing with rain and cold weather here too (the we(s)t coast of Canada having similar temps/weather), and it's been the bane of my spring wardrobe! Love your new boots.

    I enjoyed your "running back and forth" pictures - that's how I take all of my outfit pics! It's definitely a talent! Loved the article - I enjoy people challenging perceptions.

    Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila, Thanks for stopping by! I'm going to have a big catch up on Sunday, when it's bound to be raining!
      Running back and forth is a good method. It keeps you sharp and fit at the same time! :-D

      Delete
  5. Oh my, you have been busy Claire!
    Your weather sounds quite similar to ours, the rain seemingly neverending and far too chilly for the time of year. For our Bruges trip, both Jos and I had to dig out the winter coats we'd just put away the other week.
    Loving that magnificent rainbow, the glimpse at Stourbridge station and the Digbeth street art. Oh, and that handsome fellow in the pond, of course.
    The unfurling ferns and the emerging Euphorbia are echoes of Dove Cottage's garden.
    Your Frye boots are fabulous and you look gorgeous in those self portraits.
    Thanks for the link, I'll be having a peek at that in a minute! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem that our weather patterns are very similar. I did think about you in Bruges. Hopefully it didn't spoil your fun!
      There's something very magical about unfurling ferns isn't there?
      Thank you very much! xxx

      Delete

It's Art Darling!

It's been a little over a fortnight since I last posted, but it feels like an age.  The weather's been challenging.  Naturally, as s...