Monday, March 11, 2024

Forest Bathing


Last Sunday dawned bright and beautiful; the perfect Spring day.  So where better to celebrate and soak up some sun to top up our vitamin D levels, but a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty?  

It wasn't quite the weather for forest bathing, muddy puddles still very much in evidence after February's precipitation, but I was sorely tempted.  Cannock Chase is a former Royal Forest and mixed area of countryside in Staffordshire - and a jewel of the Midlands.  

Cannock Chase comprises a mixture of natural deciduous woodland, coniferous plantations, open heathland, small lakes and the remains of early industry, including coal mining.  The Chase was awarded its status in September 1958 and is the smallest area so designated in mainland Britain, covering 26 square miles.  Much of the area is also designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest.  Despite being relatively small, the Chase provides a broad range of landscape and wildlife, including a heard of around 800 fallow deer and a number of rare and endangered birds, including migrant nightjars.



Popular with mountain bikers, luckily, there's enough space for everyone to enjoy it's tranquil beauty. 

We don't visit as often as we would like, as despite being less than an hour away, the most direct route takes us through the city of Wolverhampton, which can be problematic.  But on Sunday, we found a parking space a little off the beaten track and immediately felt ourselves unwinding, pleased we'd made the effort.




I love a gnarly, moss covered tree!



The clouds were high.  No threat of rain today.  I loved glimpsing the sun-kissed countryside on the horizon.



We really are so lucky to have such natural beauty on our doorstep.  I love a trip to the city as much as the next person, but if there's one thing I'm grateful for, it's that I inherited my parents' love of nature.  There's a lot to be said for having space to breathe and think.  Spending time in nature answers a primal calling.  It's intoxicating.  



Feeling reflective yet?  I might be stating the obvious, but the photo below is a reflection, but flipped horizontally.  It's quite trippy don't you think?


The dipping sun through the trees made for some spectacular sunburst photos.


Now usually, we're not the kind of people who feel naked minus a coffee in hand on a hike, but we were keen to extend the day and so we stopped off at the on-site cafe for coffee (and cake for one).  There was also a war hut close by; one of many across Cannock, used for training around 20,000 soldiers during the first World War.  We didn't stop to explore as time was marching on and we were keen to continue our walk, but I did wonder how many made it back?

Days out with our teenage son are few and far between, but he's also go the nature bug and so joined us - even permitting me to take a few photos.  I made a mental note that the area provides incredible family portrait opportunities.




Spending time in the great outdoors is mood elevating stuff.  Architecture, art and culture are all important, but immersion in nature is vital in my humble opinion.  
Not convinced?  Look at the evidence.

Physical health:

Dog walkers on Kinver Edge

Oxygen released by trees and the resulting fresh air rejuvenates body and mind.  We're bombarded by pollutants, which contribute to respiratory problems and dementia.

Trees also emit essential oils called phytoncides.  These natural compounds help boost our immune system, fight viruses and combat harmful bacteria.

A hike through a forest has obvious cardiovascular and overall fitness benefits.  Each to their own, but I'd much rather don a pair of boots and spend a couple of hours outside than obsessively hone certain groups of muscles on a gym machine in a soulless building.

Mental health:


I'm using a photo of Nanny's Rock on Kinver Edge to illustrate this point.  Taken square on, I always think this lump of sandstone rock looks like the top of a head; the caves a deep set pair of eyes peering out.

Aside from the obvious calming effects of a totally natural environment, studies suggest that spending time in green spaces enhances cognitive function, creativity and problem solving abilities.  My own experiences have shown that long walks help me solve problems and offer perspective.

Spiritual Reflection:

A beautiful example of a tree, Kinver Edge

Dappled sunlight, bird song, rustling leaves; it's almost spiritual.  Even our aesthetic appreciation of trees dates back to ancient times.

As we left Cannock Chase, I caught sight of this mysterious structure...a former British Telecom tower.


We won't leave it so long next time!

We took the scenic route home to enjoy the sunset.  Our VW Beetle doesn't have a particularly fancy car stereo, so we've recently joined the 21st century and invested in a blue tooth gadget.  We can now play our choice of music via my phone through the car stereo. Joy!


A little post script.  My Monday morning view from the kitchen window was this little robin making a nest in the ivy.  For once, I had the right lens on my camera and managed to capture it in all it's glory.  Nature perfection!


I'm curious, do my fellow bloggers have a favourite walk?




8 comments:

  1. the photo of the robin is absolutely stunning!!
    you know it already - i´m totally with you in the case of forest bathing, walking in the wild and such. actually i´m very sure that experiencing nature in direct contact safed my (battered in early youth) mental health.........
    in the 00 years - out of berlin - my friends and me were going for hikes & climbing for days in a row - biwaking only with sleeping bag & mat under sheltering rock structures. not to mention weeks-long hiking tours in romania & on corsika - without a luggage shuttle or B&B. just backpack, little tent and our feet. and a map.
    later the BW and i wandered down the rivers and across many lakes in a vintage folding kayak - camping in the wild in a tiny tent - sometimes for a fortnight.....
    and since 2011 we can walk into the woods directly from our front door.
    so its very hard to chose a single favorite tour :-D
    thank you for the forest photos!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your early youth trauma, but happy that nature helped heal you. You obviously have some incredible memories and I'm not at all surprised that you have chosen to live in splendid isolation!
      You're welcome! xxx

      Delete
  2. What a joy it was to be able to do a spot of forest bathing vicariously through you! I've always been drawn to nature - a love instilled primarily through my paternal grandfather - and spending time outdoors is often the only way for me to get my worries into perspective.
    I've heard of Cannock Chase, and it definitely looks like my kind of place. Your photos are stunning as always, and Nanny's Rock obviously brings back happy memories. The tree is another favourite. I've got a bit of a thing for trees!
    Fabulous capture of the robin too. And yes, I do have a favourite walk, in a nature reserve called Blaasveldbroek, which I've blogged about once or twice. It's been far too long since we've been though. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      It's wonderful that your paternal grandfather passed this on to you Ann. Nature puts us in check and reminds us how insignificant we and our problems are.
      I think you would love Cannock, but you no doubt have a full itinerary planned for this summer! :-)
      I love joining you on your walks too...and look forward to a return visit to Blaasveldbroek. xxx

      Delete
  3. I have many favourite walks, but I don't do them enough - your post has certainly encouraged me to get out there more (will I, though? aye, there's the rub). Claire, your photos are just stunning. That robin! The tree! The flipped reflection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Sheila.
      It really helps the motivation if you can just walk from your doorstep, hence our infrequent visits to Cannock. x

      Delete
  4. What fabulous photos, Claire! It's been years since we went to Cannock Chase (back in 1993, I think!) although we've driven past it many a time en route to Shugborough, shocking when it's just 10 miles from the front door.
    Whilst I love being outside, my favourite walks are usually to a mountain village or a remote beach (when we're abroad) or involve a National Trust Estate when we're at home. Dad was a mountaineer and a keen walker and we'd always spend a week doing the Wainwrights in the Lake District, him miles ahead and mum bringing up the rear in her high heels stopping for a cigarette and complaining about her hair!
    I'm glad you've invested in a fancy gadget for the car, we love our Dab radio so we can listen to 6Music. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We rarely go too, but so glad we made the effort.
      We've done plenty of mountain walking and remote beaches here in the UK (Scotland and the Outer Hebrides being the most memorable). There's nothing like a challenge and true isolation to make you feel alive is there? National Trust Estate's are lovely too, as they're so well maintained with proper paths so the toffs didn't stumble on uneven terrain.
      I had to laugh at the idea of your mum trying to go on proper walks in high heels! I bet she didn't get far. :-D
      Yes, the car gadget's been the best investment so far this year! xxx

      Delete

It's Art Darling!

It's been a little over a fortnight since I last posted, but it feels like an age.  The weather's been challenging.  Naturally, as s...