Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Let There Be Light

January is a strange month...a gaping chasm between the joy and sparkle of the festive period and the early promise of spring.  

Forget Blue Monday, I have christened my birthday this year as Blue Sunday.  Sunday January 14th was one to forget.  Given the weather that day, I'll take a rain check on celebrations - pardon the pun.  It was quite possibly, the most miserable day I can recall for a long time.  Even nature failed to lift our spirits and after 30 minutes of walking into a bitingly cold wind, gazing at a waterlogged landscape, we cut short our walk.  If you think I'm exaggerating, see for yourselves.







Bleak huh?  The photos above were shot with a stocking covered 35mm lens, a practise run for me to create a more retro aesthetic.  Believe me when I say that even without the stocking, the results were almost as bleak.  And brown.   My fingerless gloves have been working over time - inside and outside of the house!  

But what a difference a day makes!  This Monday morning, officially christened Blue Monday (supposedly the most depressing day of the year), there was light!


We awoke to a dusting of snow, an exquisite blue winter sky with fluffy clouds and shafts of sunlight landing photogenically.  The daily walk was much more pleasant.




So rewinding a little, last week, I took my Mom to Halfpenny Green Vineyards for a coffee and a look at the local delicacies.  But for a cat botherer like me, the draw was actually the local feral feline population.  It was dinner time and I managed to capture a few of them scoffing. 


They're happy, rotundly healthy and almost identical looking, but prefer to keep people at a safe distance.  I can't say I blame them.  There are 17 cats in total and between them, the independent business owners operating from the prefab buildings next to the vineyards, look after them with regular food donations and also try to ensure they are neutered.  

This one was adopted as a kitten by one of the business owners.  Isn't she beautiful?  Who wouldn't love to while away January in a cosy bed like that?

Our week was brightened by a visit from our old trading friend Baz.  Baz is a fireman who lives miles away from us with his wife Issy, in a converted double decker bus in the wilds of Staffordshire, but dropped by as he was in the area.  If you visit us, chances are you're going to be force fed and photographed and Baz was no exception!


Another day, another Baz.  This one's my father-in-law and he loves the smell of creosote.  He literally cannot pass a telegraph pole without having a sniff.  This is possibly one of my stranger portraits but hey, you take your pleasures where you find them!


Since Christmas, I've made a few charity shop purchases...some wardrobe staple Breton tops and a Monsoon duo in the shape of a faux fur gillet and Fairisle style jumper that really keeps the cold out.  It was worth the awkward encounter with a fellow shopper who insisted on loudly and proudly showing me her bargain purchase - a pack of incontinence pads!

I've also made a couple of considered new purchases.  I picked up a pair of jeans in the Zara sale.  I wanted to create a more elegant, flattering and retro silhouette and couldn't be happier with these high waisted, raw hem jeans that just skim and hang elegantly from the thighs and are cropped a little so are great for my pit pony legs.  I love the double front pockets too.

Oh and for the longest time, I've been searching for a pair of classic loafers.  They have evaded me, until now.  I spotted these gorgeous metallic ones in the Boden sale.  Quality and comfort.  

They work well with turned up, slouchy jeans, A line and mini skirts, shorts and certain maxi dresses.  My latest mission is therefore to showcase them to their full potential.  For the purposes of this post however, I thought I'd don the majority of recent purchases all at once! 

Gareth's also carried out a successful and ingenious repair to my sad and neglected vintage necklace, which unfortunately shed one of its "carnelian" stones on its very first outing with me.  The trick?  Epoxy resin combined with smoked paprika.  In case you're wondering, it's the bottom stone he's replaced.  I think it looks better than the original!


I picked up a few books from Enville Church when we were passing through the village.  Am I a terrible sinner, never going to church other than to check out the donated books?  We left our donation in the honesty box and came away with three immaculate hardback books.  I failed to photograph them before loaning two of them, but picked up a copy of Behind Closed Doors, the untold story of the Duchess of Windsor... 


...Phillipa Gregory's The Taming of the Queen and also this beautiful copy of Dawnlands (although I have yet to read Dark Tides, the second of the trilogy).

In TV land, we've been glued to the second season of  The Tourist - this time set in Ireland.  It's arguably weaker than the first series, but I love the humour and Ireland looks so pretty.


Kin has also captivated us.  It's about rival gangland families in Dublin and an event that causes their feud to spiral out of control.  So gripping!


We're also hopelessly addicted to The Traitors.  Having watched and loved the first series, we were sceptical as to how there could be a second.  But the rules are ever changing, there are some clever twists and it's intriguing to see human nature played out so obviously on a TV show where back stabbing and betrayal are the only ways to win.  The Banquishing Table, where players take a stab in the dark to name who they think is a traitor, is a masterclass in herd mentality.

I'm also obsessing over presenter Claudia Winkleman's chic wardrobe, each outfit put together by fashion stylist Sinead McKeefry and just oozing quality.  I am in love with this Vampire's Wife mini dress..


...and her ruffle shirts/quirky knits and tweed coats are to die for.

It has not gone unnoticed that she's taken her cue from me and invested in more than one pair of fingerless gloves which has become part of the signature "Traitors-core" look.  I won't hold it against her though. She still trumps me on shiny hair.  

Speaking of which, I believe I have found a hair care system that fights the frizz.  Periodically I bang on about my somewhat frizzy hair, for which I can only thank the gene pool from which I emerged.  My mother has poker straight, fine hair.  My Dad had slightly wavy hair, inherited from his mother, who had hair like corrugated iron.   I have a weird fusion; not quite straight but there are sections of hair at the base of my scalp that do take on that crinkly look when wet.  Hairdressers like to tell me:  "You have fine hair, but lots of it."  For ages, I assumed that my hair just wasn't in good condition.  Greys and humidity only worsen the appearance of the surface frizz that plagued me.  I've tried all sorts of shampoos - nourishing, moisturising, natural hair soaps, co-washing (washing in conditioner), brushing, but nothing really made any dramatic impact.  Until now.

My current secret (and I'm only a couple of washes into the new regime) is to oil the hair with Jojoba oil (a natural frizz buster) the night before washing.  I tie it back to go to bed,  wash and condition as usual the following morning and add a few pumps of styling cream when it's damp.  This one seems to help.  Here are my hair heroes.


The difference has been incredible and more importantly, the results have been lasting.  It's held its own against humidity, has retained that moisture, feels softer and hangs better.  It seems to improve with every treatment.  Let's hear it for Jojoba!


For me, January seems to be my creative month.  I've entered the London Camera Exchange Competition.  I don't believe I'm in with a chance, but it's a good exercise, keeps me sharp and I can take inspiration from my fellow entrants.  You have to be in it to win it as the saying goes.  Here's a glimpse of a few of the photos I entered.


I've also been approached by a Brummy photographer/musician/artist to collaborate on something this year and have been pushing myself to create something different, focusing on the four elements.  I'm sure art critics would have a field day, but I do what pleases me and find it very fulfilling.




I hope you're all fine and dandy. What helps you through the winter months?


14 comments:

  1. (belated) happy birthday wishes - dear claire <3
    i can totally relate to miserable weather for birthday - i´m born in november.... and our late autumn looks exactly like your mid january.
    what helps me through winter?
    the winter! our winters still tends to be bright white literally - although the climate change does take its toll lately.... a gray day with snow on the ground/frost in the trees is´t gray :-D and i can deal better with frost than with wet 5°C+.
    looove your photos - gorgeous snap shots for the competition but stunning art for your collaboration!!! just wow!
    stay warm and dry - we are in for a baby blizzard today.....
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beate. Usually, I get through the winter in the same way as you, but climate change is giving us a very different kind of January. Today for example, we have a hard frost after the coldest night for 15 years, but the forecast for next week is 13 degrees (warmer than it was in late June last year) and with that comes yet more rain. Anyway, seize the day!
      I'm glad you like the artwork. Bloggers seem to have discerning taste.
      ;-D
      I hope your poor arm muscles don't have to do too much snow shovelling! xxx

      Delete
    2. i do not shoveling snow - around the house we do wear boots and trample paths - and our driveway is way to long, so we park down on the street when big snow is in the forecast.....
      forgot to mention your fab new clothes and shoes - very stylish AND practical :-D glad you found a solution for your hair and it looks beautiful - i do wear mine braided since weeks - to much hassle with hats & scarfs.
      and yes - climate is total chaotic now - we will have the same high temps the next week - i wonder how spring & summer will turn out..... xx

      Delete
    3. I should have guessed you would have a plan! Working smart. :-)
      Thank you very much! Braiding is a great solution, I agree. I do it more in the summer to protect my hair from the sun. I have worn my hats this past week though. I forgot on one of our walks and the cold wind was giving me ear ache!
      This year's predicted to be the hottest on record I hear. xxx

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to you!! It's a bit rubbish living in the UK and having a Winter birthdays isn't it? No chance of a nice walk and a pub lunch in a beer garden! Those photos have captured the bleakness of Sunday perfectly and the lovely sunshine of Monday, too.
    Love the Baz photos and, of course, the gorgeous cats, what a bruiser that adopted girl is, she's got a look of Bagpuss about her.
    Your hair looks amazing, hairdressers always describe mine of being fine but lots of it, too. How exciting to have found something that works. You've done very well with the finds, modelled to perfection! The jeans are a great shape and the jumper and gilet are fabulous (you can't go wrong with Zara denim or Monsoon). That pendant is a beaut, well done for the ingenious repair, Gareth!
    Your photos are magic and thoroughly deserve to win a prize. The Birmingham artist collab sounds very exciting. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix. It really is. The pub we had in mind at the end of our walk was empty. It's usually characterful, with a roaring fire and bustling. It turns out they aren't serving food until the end of the month! Still, Gareth cooked a fantastic curry, so all was not lost.
      Yes, formerly feral kitty was a bit of a bruiser and looked older than her 5 years. Still gorgeous though.
      That Monsoon jumper has had lots of wear and the gillet is a godsend at the moment.
      Thank you so much for voting. xxx

      Delete
  3. Your Blue Sunday birthday photos are very atmospheric, but I can definitely understand cutting your walk short in such dreary weather conditions. But what a difference a day makes indeed! We had a rare day of blue skies yesterday but we've reverted to a sky threatening snow today, which seems to fill my head with cotton wool.
    Loving the cat and Baz photos, and weirdly enough I somehow get why your FIL loves the smell of creosote.
    Your metallic loafers are fantastic, and so is the outfit you are showcasing here.
    Oh, and I'd already seen those photos you entered on Instagram and think you are definitely in with a chance! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ann, I hope your cold has improved a little today. We're having snow warnings at the moment, but so far, we've only had a light dusting. It feels raw though, but thankfully the wind has dropped.
      How funny that you also appreciate the smell of creosote. It can't be good for him!
      The Monsoon purchases have been very timely. I've pretty much lived in them in recent days...the gilet is very cosy.
      Thanks for the vote of confidence Ann. It's always worth a shot! xxx

      Delete
  4. Perfect artistic photos, from a place far away! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it's gotten a bit nicer out there now! Sorry I'm late, Claire. I'm also a noted cat-botherer and would be going there for the cats! Your hair looks amazing - I use oil on my hair as well, also being a "fine and lots of it" person, but without your lovely waves. Your jeans are perfect, but the loafers...nope, I have never liked them (although I approve of the silver!). Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sheila and fellow cat botherer! Thanks! The oil really is the only thing that has worked for me. Long may it continue!
      I have seen women making loafers look super chic, so it's a little challenge to myself. I think the silver swayed me. :-)

      Delete
  6. A belated happy birthday Claire! xXx

    ReplyDelete

It's Art Darling!

It's been a little over a fortnight since I last posted, but it feels like an age.  The weather's been challenging.  Naturally, as s...