Sunday, December 31, 2023

There's No Place Like Home

This Christmas has felt different somehow.  The years seem to roll seamlessly and speedily; one into another.  Perhaps that's the reason why this year, I didn't feel particularly festive...last year's still being fresh in my memory.  That's not to say I was in a melancholy or "down with Christmas" frame of mind; I just didn't feel that frisson of magic in the air.

With rain and wind dominating the forecast, our Christmas has been a quiet family affair, bookended by walks. 

We're all aware of the phrase "when life imitates art."  Well this festive period has certainly played its part.  The title of this blog no doubt gives the game away, but first rewinding to Christmas Eve and our first notable excursion, we headed into the Wyre forest in neighbouring Worcestershire, for an unseasonably warm walk.




The forest floor was saturated after heavy rain, but the waterlogged land beautifully reflected the mid afternoon sun.

We visited the creepy cabin built by the Cadbury family and still in use today, although, as you can see from the metal shutters (which are padlocked to boot), we and other members of the riff raff are only permitted to enjoy the view from the veranda.  Fine by me!  I do always think of Dorothy's Kansas home when I see this cabin.  

Oaks are amongst the last to shed their leaves in winter and contributed to the landscape's distinctly orange hue.



I loved these tree branches reaching for the dying light.

I added a copper infusion to this trippy forest photo.

The Wyre Forest is a very special place, but there's no place like home, as Dorothy would say.  I'm not sure I necessarily subscribe to this, but, nonetheless, the weather gods conspired to keep us there for the festive period.  

I cut some holly from the garden (only a little so as not to deprive the birds of berries or the woodland spirits of refuge before the trees regain their leaves)...

...and we lived by candlelight.

Gareth and I never go crazy with gifts at Christmas (kind thoughts and treats shouldn't be reserved for just one or two days of the year) and this year was no exception.  But, I am in love with my vintage Jaeger coat...here's a glimpse..


...and total bargain Monet print which now adorns the hallway.  I love its shabby frame and I'm sure it was destined for the skip had Gareth not rescued it on my behalf.


So, as usual, we lit the Christmas pudding...



...and watched some old classics on TV - me through a crystal ball like the Wicked Witch of the West.


The Christmas Day showing of The Wizard of Oz turned out to be somewhat prophetic as Storm Gerrit delivered a hooley shortly afterwards, including a mini tornado which descended on Manchester.

We spent the time well - reading, cooking, listening to music and enjoying some other old classics, including Hitchcock's Suspicion and Witness for the Prosecution, as well as House of Gucci, Saltburn (surely the most bizarre ending to a film in recent years?) and my old favourite and Christmas staple, A Christmassy Ted, the Father Ted Christmas special which sees the priests trying to escape from a department store women's lingerie department in true war film style.

In other news, the houseplants have been re-potted and are looking appreciative and the hyacinths have bloomed.  I'm almost certain their scent has reached you by now!






After the storm and pudding had settled, we headed back outside, blinking like moles after days of darkness, being sure to take in some hills and fill our lungs with clean air.  Here's our favourite Sheepwalks tree and glimpses of a rainbow sky.  




I never bother with New Year's resolutions, so I've started early on my recent pledge to use my Nordic walking poles more often.  I have too often forsaken them for walks with my camera this past year, but am determined to get myself more organised and designate days for photo walks and days for Nordic walks.  

The evidence is clear that Nordic walking increases calorie burn by 20%, boosts heart health and upper body strength.  Having been forced to lay off forms of exercise I used to love thanks to a particularly symptomatic back problem, including yoga, swimming and running, Nordic walking really seems to suit me and even gives me that "runner's high" release of endorphins.  Judging by my aching muscles (in all the right places) this morning, I'm already experiencing the benefits.


We've made up for lost time over the last couple of days and racked up a fair few miles.  However, I did pause briefly to take some video clips for you, which I've knitted together in a little homage to our Christmas Day viewing.  Please forgive the ending.  When I find a way to fade out the music, my conclusions won't be so jarring.

Brace yourselves!  Here comes 2024!








10 comments:

  1. Hello Claire, a belated captain Christmas and almost happy new year to you! Your woodland shots are just wonderful. Oh yes, I can just see there being witches feet trapped under that creepy cabin. Did the Cadbury family use it a a leisure outstation? I did get a jolly good whiff of the hyacinths too, thanks for that. I can't believe someone put that beautiful Monet print and frame in a skip!!! The Father Ted escaping the department store has to be one of the funniest things I've seen, love it :) xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lulu!
      Yes, I believe it was a hunting lodge, but now used as a leisure facility.
      The Monet print hadn't quite made it to the skip, but given the miniscule price tag, I think it was under imminent threat.
      Father Ted is just the best. We've been re-watching the series recently after my encounter with Father Damo! :-D xxx

      Delete
  2. Happy nearly new year! Hasn't it been a dreary and soggy fortnight? Well done for venturing into the Wyre forest and capturing those wonderful images. Love the creepy cabin, not sure I'd want to spend time in there with a bunch of non-drinking Quakers.
    Gareth's got such a good eye. That Jaeger coat looks gorgeous from the snippet you've shown us and that salvaged Monet suits your hallway perfectly.
    Saltburn was quite the watch, wasn't it? I knew nothing about the plot (I never read reviews until I've watched a film) and expected Brideshead Revisited rather than the Talented Mr Ripley. Murder on the Dancefloor has taken on a whole new meaning, now!
    My dad's Nordic poles were brilliant for my post hip op recovery. Specific walks are a great non-resolution. I don't make them either but shall make an exception for one - I must spend more time with Claire in 2024! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy nearly New Year to you too!
      I'm still reeling from Saltburn. Like you, we thought Brideshead Revisited and almost decided against it. So glad we continued to watch. What a twist! I bet Sophie Ellis-Bextor's chuffed!
      I appreciate your New Year's resolution. Let's make it happen! xxx

      Delete
  3. wishing you all a happy and healthy 2024!!
    taking up your nordic walking poles will help with both - a happy mind and a healthy body :-D
    the forst pictures are wonderful - you really catched the midwinter athmosphere.....
    for not feeling it your x-mas sounds quiet festive! and i can´t wait to see that jaeger coat modeled by you and in full glory!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate!
      The coat had its first outing with me today. It's a little oversized, which I love. I felt very cosy observing our flooded River Severn and its fast flowing current. xxx

      Delete
  4. Sounds like the perfect Christmas to me, Claire, and I'm totally with you on not going crazy with the gifts, while totally admiring your vintage Jaeger coat and Monet print. And I never bother much with New Year's resolutions either, although I'll be trying to banish negativity as much as possible.
    I absolutely loved tagging along on your walks by way of your always atmospheric photos. In spite of the weather forecast at the start of my Christmas break, we've been able to go for walks no less than 4 times, even if our destinations weren't even half as exciting as yours! Happy New Year! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just all a bit much sometimes isn't it? Low key, that's us. :-D
      How lucky that you've been able to get out and about more. We had a brief respite today but I fear more bad weather is on the way. Another excuse, if one were needed, to huddle up with a good book or film. xxx

      Delete
  5. Your vintage coat looks velvety and textured, quite lovely. I like the cabin, in an ideal world I would live in the woods in something like this. your home looked cosy and festive, I decked with holly too - we had loads in the woods, but I left the bits with berries for the birds also and attached fake berries on wire - I think it's such a mild winter the birds have plenty but nonetheless I don't want to strip the woods bare! What I don't like is the darkness, its so depressing and I can't wait for lighter days. I have enjoyed discovering your blog through Vix, the photography always makes me feel inspired to get out and be creative myself, thank you :) Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betty...and thank you!
      I quite fancy a cabin in the woods too. There are many occasions when I think dropping out of society seems like a good idea. :-)
      I agree with you about the lack of light at this time of year. I always remind myself how quickly the nights seem to draw in come late September and so now we have the shortest day behind us, it's getting lighter every night. In the meantime, it's good to get outside and find the beauty in every season.
      I'm happy you like the photos and will hop across shortly to have a read of your blog. x

      Delete

It's Art Darling!

It's been a little over a fortnight since I last posted, but it feels like an age.  The weather's been challenging.  Naturally, as s...