Thursday, October 12, 2023

Autumn Ready

We're into the second week in October; a time traditionally associated with misty mornings and chilly nights.  So what happened?  We're in the middle of what used to be known as an Indian Summer - something of a rarity - but is now quite obviously the frightening reality that is climate change.

In spite of the unseasonably mild weather, the trees and woodland floor seem to be on message.  Leaves are turning and fungi are popping up everywhere (just as they should) suggesting that, at least for now, they will infuse the soil with nutrients for the trees, their beneficiaries.  This puff ball fungus, on reaching maturity and upon impact, dramatically releases a cloud of dust like spores into the surrounding area.  Isn't it magical?

The grey squirrels are also preparing; collecting and squirrelling away acorns and nuts to store in their hastily dug (and often forgotten) larders.


We're all suspended in this strange between-seasons no man's land.

For once though, I'm prepared for Autumn.  I've already moved a number of items that I didn't feel I would wear enough during the colder months to justify their space on my clothes rail.  I've carefully shopped - slow fashion - acquiring a few more winter staples (inexplicably being low on versatile knits for example).  I've added to the reserve of books piling up on my bed side table and was calmly preparing to welcome the dark nights with open arms; relishing fruit crumbles, long walks and back to back rainy weekend film marathons and we find ourselves basking in 20 degree sunshine.  

So what's new?  Well very little here is new.  Most of these garments have doubtless had more than one owner in its life, but now it's my turn.  So in reverse order.  Feel free to hum the Top of the Pops chart rundown music as you read.

10.  Navy blue polo neck jumper by former High Street store BHS.  One can never have too many of these beauties.  I wear them, alone or layered, when the temperature plummets.  Here, in this grainy, evening phone pic, I'm wearing it with an old vintage Indian cotton maxi skirt to keep out the chill.

At 9, a 1990s Adidas top.  This was a high risk purchase for me (£2.95).  I'm not usually drawn to sportswear, but this fleecy gillet spoke to me and is very warm and cosy.  Great for woodland walks, with a knitted hat and gloves.


8.  Himalayan Hemp Nepalese Rucksack - Perfect for carrying extra lenses around on our walks.

7.  Winter whites.  It might sound counter intuitive and I have little research to back this up, but I feel that white warms up my sun starved skin in winter.  I've scored a River Island top in thick cotton with puffed sleeves (see 4 below) and a versatile M&S knit.

Just in at 6, this Zara jumper.  I do find myself increasingly seeking out colour as I age.  This pastel pale lemon will remind me that spring is around the corner when I'm shivering in January.


Dropping to number 5, an Indian cotton dress.  This one's a bit of an anomaly in an Autumn wardrobe, but it could still work for now, layered over that navy blue polo neck, leggings and knee high boots.  


A new entry at number 4!   I kept picking this next item up and hanging it back on the charity shop rail.  I initially assumed it was a skirt, but actually it's a pair of ginormous wide leg trousers.  They're synthetic and a bit "fashion" but give a great silhouette and are lined.  The label (Ghost Harlem - Japanese?) was new to me and ultimately the quirky avant-garde print and vibrant colours won me over.   Sometimes love just can't be explained, but that's what this is!


I'm wearing them here with the aforementioned "winter white" River Island top, but stripes work too, as would a slouchy, chunky knit.


3.  Black and white striped polo neck.  I like the way the Breton stripes echo the Adidas signature stripes of my sporty gillet.  It will also work beautifully layered under a sleeveless tank top and teamed with my next find......climbing towards the top spot...

2.  Pleated midi skirt, made in the UK by now defunct heritage label, Windsmoor.

I've yet to wear this vibrant, winter bright skirt, picked up for around a fiver.  I spotted it on the charity shop rails during the heatwave, but just adored the colours and knew I already had a few items that would work with it.  I think I might pack it for our city break next week.


And straight in at number 1.  My one new purchase - a Kharibu vintage kantha waistcoat.  I spotted these earlier in the year and although I knew I had to have one, I bided my time until the £70.00 price tag became £40.00.  It's definitely going to be a wardrobe staple for me.  Here is is teamed with baggy jeans and a Breton t-shirt.  

So if all of this talk of Autumn hasn't given you that Ready brek inner glow, this little anecdote just might.  

Twitter is sadly these days associated with a narcissistic billionaire and toxicity.  But last week, after taking to the platform to try (in vain) to get some resolution from Virgin Media regarding our locked email account, I asked if anyone else was having similar issues and sharing my frustration in not being able to speak to an actual human being.  Within a couple of minutes, I received an affirmative comment from one London based Sarah Ziegel.  

While we vented at our mutual frustration online, Gareth finally managed to unlock our email account (with zero assistance from Virgin Media).  We decided that we should message Sarah and offer to talk her through the steps Gareth had taken in the hope that they would work for her.  

So Sarah and I followed each other on Twitter and Sarah messaged me her phone number.  Gareth promptly made the call and hey presto!  Twenty minutes later, Sarah was reunited with her inbox.  

Sarah was so grateful that she insisted Gareth supply her with our address.  An author, blogger and mother to four autistic children, Sarah has written an award winning book, Marching to a Different Beat (winner of The Selfies Book Awards 2023 Memoir Category).  I was so excited to receive a signed copy in the post the following morning with a lovely handwritten postcard.  

Twitter can be a force for good and I can't wait to read it.  Judging by the intro, I know I'm in for an emotional and engaging read!


Bye for now!

8 comments:

  1. I'm loving your top ten of Autumnal wardrobe additions! Groovy retro prints, delicate Indian loveliness, practical yet pretty knits and a bit of sportswear - stylish, interesting and well considered. That kantha waistcoat is particularly lovely, I loved it when I spotted it online, you did so well to snaffle it at such a bargain price.
    I've loved the last few days, it's certainly made the disappointing weather of the summer a little sweeter. I'm not sure about all this squirrel activity though, I hope that's not a sign of a harsh winter.
    I'm glad you got your internet woes sorted and helped Sarah with hers, too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix. I couldn't believe they had the one I wanted left in stock!
      I hope we don't have a long winter like last year. It really dragged on after Christmas didn't it?
      Sarah was chuffed (as was I). When Virgin finally bothered to make contact, she lectured them for 2 minutes and then hung up! :-D xxx

      Delete
  2. beautiful autumn photos - dear claire!!!
    and cool and smart slow fashion gear! love the pale yellow sweater <3 and the flat lay with the windsmoor skirt especially.... and your patience with the indian waistcoat really payed out. tha gauzy indian dress and the flamboyant trousers are fab too.
    gareth is a genius fixing your account without support!! and how lovely that nasty social media was for good once - and you could help sarah too....
    i have the feeling that winter comes later every year - and ends later too! the whole season thing has shifted AND spring & autumn last only one week or so..... lets fly more so we have the privilege to watch a turbo & total climate change in our own lifetime ;-P
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much!
      I think you're right about winter coming later and spring and autumn being shorter.
      In spite of our best efforts, I despair of our government to be honest. Drastic action needs to be taken and they're all just asleep at the wheel! Not sure if you're aware of the British Naturalist, Chris Packham? He recently fronted a powerful documentary discussing this topic and the Just Stop Oil activists and asked "Is is time to break the law?" It was really fascinating. He wants to be on the right side of history, so I'm intrigued to see what he will do next. xxx

      Delete
  3. As I'm typing this comment, there's a howling gale blowing outside and there's rain beating on the window in front of me. I will be bored with this kind of weather sooner rather than later, but for now it suits me more than Indian Summer which was starting to feel quite unreal, not to mention very at odds with nature winding down regardless.
    Love your Autumnal photos, particularly the puff ball fungus and the squirrel.
    And oh my, didn't you do well with your slow fashion acquisitions!
    I'm swooning over the pale lemon Zara jumper, those funky wide leg trousers and the pleated midi skirt, striped polo neck and sleeveless tank top combo!
    Well done to Gareth for fixing your email account, and how lovely that you managed to help out Sarah with hers as well! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann!
      We've had some pretty heavy rain in the meantime too. I agree, the Indian Summer felt a little weird.
      I'm looking forward to the cooler temperatures just so I can wear that Zara jumper. Is that madness? xxx

      Delete
  4. Fab Clothes Show meets TOTP :) I think I will steal that rucksack thank you very much xXx

    ReplyDelete

It's Art Darling!

It's been a little over a fortnight since I last posted, but it feels like an age.  The weather's been challenging.  Naturally, as s...