Wednesday, July 26, 2023

And The Sun Set on Prague

 


Apologies for the lengthy satellite delay; I've had an enforced break to deal with the scary matter of emergency eye laser surgery.  I won't go into details here, but let's just say I can now relate a little to Alex, A Clockwork Orange's protagonist.  I've also stayed off the screen as much as possible, so forgive me if I've missed anyone's posts.

So where was I?  Part way through drafting a post on our last day in Prague, which I was forced to abandon and have been slowly editing over the last couple of days.

We were once again awake by dawn after a fitful final night's sleep in the heat of this beautiful city.  We had one thing on the day's "To Do" list which was to visit the Alphonse Mucha museum, a stone's throw from our apartment in Old Town Square. 

So, dragging our small suitcases, we left the shade of our hallway for the last time, sunscreen generously applied and emerged sixty seconds later into the street outside. 




It's evidently impossible for someone like me to stand anywhere or turn any corner in a city like Prague, without reaching for my camera.  The holes in this sign are admittedly too symmetrical, but I immediately thought of bullet holes, which appealed to my sometimes dark sense of humour.  Why would painted furniture be so provocative?



As our flight was much later in the day, I was able to capture as many of the architectural details and sights of Prague at leisure.  





Cubist Grand Cafe Orient


Onwards to the Museum.  The name Alphonse Mucha is synonymous with the Art Nouveau movement; his artwork gracing everything from magazine covers, book illustrations and theatre posters, to his more commercially recognised work for Moet Champagne and cigarette papers to name a couple.

The museum provided a comprehensive understanding of the Czech artist and offered up an eclectic selection of his work.


I took many photographs here, but I've included just a few of my favourites.  Although it has been said that this museum is a bit of a tourist trap, I think that's grossly unfair.  It was well curated and if you have any interest in Art Nouveau's distinctly decorative style, this is a must.



Theatre poster


Byzantine style plate



An edition of The Burr McIntosh Monthly - devoted to photos of famous people and landscapes




A poorly photographed "The Kiss of Spring"


I was also taken with the part of the collection devoted to photos of Mucha's muses.  It's purely speculation on my part, but it's entirely possible that one of these women was been asked to "hold that pose" one too many times!


To better understand the man and his work however, it's best to see what else he created in the city.  As luck would have it, our wanderings took us to Smetana Hall, the Municipal House.  Here you can enjoy a concert and study Mucha's artwork, which adorn the walls and ceilings.  We didn't have time for a concert, but the building itself is a wonderful example of the Art Nouveau style and I paid the briefest of visits inside, somewhat curtailed by the watchful gaze of a surly doorman.  


No part of the building escaped the movement's influence...from door handles...


....to the beautiful box office inside...



...and this fantastically opulent French restaurant.




Tile envy.



Mucha also designed one of the stained glass windows in St Vitus Cathedral.  Poor research on my part meant that I only became aware of this after our visit to the castle.  Even more unforgivable, I do recall spotting said window and a connection forming in my mind, but for whatever reason, I don't seem to have a photo of it.  I seem to have photographed every other square inch of Prague!  Fear not!  Here's the link for those who want to see it.



Emulating the sinuous curves of Art Nouveau, we continued our self guided (or should that be directionless) walking tour, weaving through the streets of the city.  It really is the only way to see a place.  Silly as it sounds, Prague is very much a city for its people as well as being a magnet for tourists.  All the hallmarks of city life were evident just a short walk from any tourist hotspot.

Clearly nothing was off limits for me.  We moved seamlessly from the sublime, exemplified here by interior photos taken the Church of Our Lady of the Snows (founded in 1347 but modified during the Renaissance and Baroque periods)....




Highest vaults in Prague



...to the faintly ridiculous.  Below we have Madame Tussaud's Jim Carrey, an extravagantly dressed marionette, a sand sculpture dog and a glum looking wooden faced chap I encountered in a Bric-a-brac shop caught my eye.


The pedestrian sign's characters appeared rather outmoded and made me smile...


....and how cute was this little local girl, blending in well with the street sign?



We paused to watch Statue of Kafka; an outdoor kinetic sculpture depicting Franz, installed outside the Quadrio shopping centre, standing 11 metres tall and made of 42 rotating panels.


This sculpture, The Cloak of Conscience, was created by Anna Chromy as a symbol for hope and peace.  The faceless hooded figure, shrouded in cloth, is also shrouded in mystery as numerous visitors have reported faces appearing in the cloak on photos taken with a flash.  Not so in my case I'm happy to report!


We spotted some cool rides too, like this handsome Cadillac parked outside a bistro..
 

...a red Skoda with its obliging occupants...


...a denim clad BMW motorbike...


...and this 1937 Horch 853 Sport Cabriolet.



Eventually we headed back to the place that first captivated us on the evening of our arrival - Old Town Square.
 
Here's the Jan Hus memorial (Czech theologian, philosopher and Church reformer, a seminal figure in the Bohemian Reformation).  All the cool pigeons hang out here.



Said pigeons' feathered friends took off in unison and flew in front of the Gothic Church of Our Lady Before Tyn's landmark "twin towers" creating this spectacle.  It has been the main church of this part of the city since the 14th century.  With little perspective in this photo, let me enlighten you.  Each tower is eighty metres tall and each tower's spire is topped by eight smaller spires in two layers of four.



Once again, subliminally influenced by other Art Nouveau characteristics, I spent a good chunk of time squatting in the heat of the afternoon sun to capture the dynamism and movement of life in this city.



I witnessed the comings and goings in front of the famous Astronomical Clock (unbelievably first installed in 1410, making it the third oldest in the world and the oldest still in operation).


Here, the crowds gathered on the hour to see the mechanisms in action.



All too soon it was time to head to the airport.  Naturally, it being Prague, our transfer meeting point was this gorgeous fountain.


Sbohem Prague!  You made an impression!










11 comments:

  1. Yikes, Claire, I'm glad you made it through your emergency eye surgery! That scene from "A Clockwork Orange" is terrifying!

    Wonderful pics of Prague - you've really captured such a range of ornamentation, from graffiti to stained glass. I would die to see that Mucha museum - I love his work. The grumpy muse is amusing (or a-muse-ing if we wish to be punny). Ugh, I would not do well with all those crowds!

    Thank you for all these wonderful photos! I feel like I've been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i see a winter trip to prague in my cards...... (in summer i can´t leave our airB&B alone).
    thank you dear claire for remembering me on that jewel at our doorsteps!
    once - ca. 1986/7 - i slept for 2 nights in the art nouveau hotel *paris*..... more by excident - but that sparked my lifelong art nouveau love :-D
    meandering thru a city is of cause the way to do it! we used this method for full 8 days in venice - it was wunderful.......
    thank you for the gorgeous photos - and next time you visit the center of europe we have to meet!!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps: sorry about your eye lasering - but i´m very glad you´r on the mend! take care <3

      Delete
    2. Thanks Beate.
      I think Prague would be even more beautiful in winter minus the crowds.
      That would be lovely!! xxx

      Delete
  3. Somehow, I can't seem to get that A Clockwork Orange scene out of my mind ever since you told me ... Hope things are back to normal now!
    I thoroughly enjoyed tagging along on your last day in Prague. They might have had to turf me out if I were visiting the Alphonse Mucha museum, and can't believe for a second that people should think it's overrated! The disgruntled looking muse made me smile, though. As for Smetana Hall, I'm completely gobsmacked!
    The Cloak of Conscience does remind me somewhat of the ghostly sculptures in Middelheim Museum here ...
    Oh, and directionless wanderings are my favourite way to get to know a place! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't quite as extreme as Alex's experience, thankfully, but still eyes wide open and very weird.
      The look in that disgruntled muse's face is close to murderous! She made me laugh.
      I knew the Cloak of Conscience seemed strangely familiar! xxx

      Delete
  4. Hello Claire, how scary about the emergency eye surgery. I hope it is all settling down now. What a wonderful tour you have given us of Prague. I'd love to go to a concert in Smetana Hall and see the Astronomical clock on the hour. That picture you have taken of the pigeon flying against the Gothic church is incredible! xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lulu. I have an interesting light show going on in my eyes off and on. I think it's to be expected, but yes, hopefully it will settle.
      The clock was very impressive. I can't believe I was the only one to catch it on the hour. We were too distracted by the beauty everywhere.
      The pigeon shot was a right place, right time photo, but thanks. xxx

      Delete
  5. Oh Claire, my knees have gone funny with the thought of laser surgery. I had to have injections in my eyes years back and I still feel ill at the thought of it all. I hope you're healing and reducing your screen time sounds very sensible.
    Anyhow, onto Prague! Glorious photos, the Mucha Museum looks utterly wonderful - as do you posing in front of the posters. I'm very taken with his muses especially the girl with the grumpy face.
    Glorious photos, wonderful shop fronts and that little girl with the red dress reminds me of Schindler's List. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, I didn't have too much time to think about it. It was a very weird experience though.
      You would have loved the Mucha Museum.
      You're right about the little girl in the red dress too! xxx

      Delete

It's Art Darling!

It's been a little over a fortnight since I last posted, but it feels like an age.  The weather's been challenging.  Naturally, as s...