Friday, April 7, 2023

One Spring Day


Everyone is waiting for Spring to arrive.  The signs are there; splashes of colour are rising above cold and sodden earth and we've had hints of the changing of the seasons on the breeze, but rain has been plentiful and still, the frosts persist.  The tree pictured above appears tormented, stripped of life and reaching for the light.

I've had my annual battle with Lotte's dreadlocks which manage to conceal themselves successfully in her winter coat until they are the size of ping pong balls.  We're getting there.  She's feeling "summer ready" now and was happy enough to pose in front of the mirror for me.


Last night offered some promise in the shape of a beautiful Pink April Moon...

...and, as Good Friday dawned, in these parts the weather was very good; no wind, wall to wall blue skies and the mercury reaching a very pleasant 14.5 degrees.  After a chilly start, I put some washing on and headed into the garden to take some cheery Easter photos using some novelty chocolates before they disappear for good.

Things quickly took a sinister turn....run, rabbit, run!

That's better.

Spring's small pleasures include being able to peg washing out on the line and have it dry, leaving behind an outdoor scent that's impossible to replicate.

Here's the bamboo as glimpsed through my hot pink honeycomb blanket hanging out to dry this morning.

After lunch we headed out over the hills for some exercise, stopping only to capture the blossom..


 ...blue sky (Gareth shedding his jacket at the top and tossing it into the air)...


...and Greater Starwort growing on the grass verges.


Still not convinced Spring is here?  Well this particular mother and son, happily posing in the sunshine on our descent, will tell you otherwise.  Renewal and rebirth.  Spring has arrived!

We have a weekend of bark chip path formation and entertaining in store and hopefully more of the same from the weather gods.  Happy Easter!

12 comments:

  1. Okay - trying to comment - hope this one reaches you!
    Lotte's looking beautiful. The grooming must be working.
    Loving Gareth's jacket tossed in the air. Hasn't it been a lovely day especially after the near 487 hour deluge that was Wednesday and Thursday! I hope Mum & Lad are correct in saying it's Spring, I'm so bored with thermals, I want to pack them away now.
    Best of luck with the bark chip laying! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Receiving loud and clear!
      I can spend hours trying to tease one of her dreadlocks apart, with little success and then suddenly I'll find it somewhere. I'm not quite sure how she manages it, but sometimes, she does it herself! If I added it all together, you could probably spin it into a tank top!
      I'm over winter too now. Roll on summer! xxx

      Delete
  2. awww - lotte is such a beauty!!
    lisbeth has started to shed her nordic winter fur and too needs and enjoys the help of a good brushing - every second day.
    spring has definitely arrived! all the blossoming and little lambs and fresh green is a true sign - and who said spring is as warm as summer? ;-D
    happy spring! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Can Lisbeth have a word with Lotte and convince her it's an enjoyable experience please? ;-D
      Happy Spring to you too! xxx

      Delete
  3. Spring is on its way here as well, only not on Good Friday, which was cold and miserable ...
    I'm loving that first photo of the crooked and gnarled tree, the Easter shenanigans in your garden, the bamboo through the pink blanket and, of course, mother and son posing in the sunshine!
    I remember the annual battle with the dreadlocks very well from our previous cat, Phoebe. I hope Lotte takes to it more kindly than Phoebe, but her thunderous face in the photo doesn't bode very well!
    Happy Easter! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a shame that Good Friday wasn't good for you. I've put in a request for a sunny weekend for you!
      You're spot on. Lotte does not take kindly to being brushed. It sounds like Lisbeth is the model pupil here.
      Happy Easter Ann! xxx

      Delete
  4. That is a gorgeous kitty! I bet she needs daily brushing! Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lotte is pretty...& I think she knows it :) Well done on capturing a rare flying jacket bird of prey. Clothes do smell fab after a day on the line don't they. Far better than all those horrible scent sachets. In Ireland, they just throw the blankets over the hedges to dry. A belated Happy Easter to you (I'm having a big bloggy catchup) xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lulu! I wish I could bottle that scent for the winter months. Why does it not surprise me that the Irish throw their blankets over hedges to dry? :-D I love the Irish! xxx

      Delete

It's Art Darling!

It's been a little over a fortnight since I last posted, but it feels like an age.  The weather's been challenging.  Naturally, as s...