Saturday, December 10, 2022

Life in the Shadows



We're experiencing an unseasonably cold spell here in the UK, with daytime temperatures barely reaching 3 degrees and overnight temperatures hitting minus 5.  We Brits are a little obsessed with weather.  It's a sport.  We love to watch the forecast and then complain when the Met Office get it wrong.  I realise that 3 degree daytime temperatures don't really amount to a whole lot of inconvenience to inhabitants of colder climes, no doubt stoically fitting their snow tyres at midday in minus 12 as I type, but after a particularly mild Autumn for this islander, the transition felt sudden and brutal.  

However, I am secretly enjoying it.  I do not welcome battling to unfreeze the car door, scrape the windscreen or navigate early morning ungritted minor roads...


...but there's something reassuring about the heralding in of a new season and in particular, a clear distinction in seasons....and don't you find waking to early morning moonlight...

...long shadows, filtered sunlight, fiery skies and crystalline landscapes just a tiny bit magical?  I do. 

I love that the Norsemen of Northern Europe saw the sun as a wheel that changed the seasons.  It was from the word for this wheel, houl, that the word yule is thought to have originated. 

Through forge-red light, my eyes pick out the lay of the land, 

Shadowy, obsidian contours etched into an ash dusted landscape.

Smoke and steam swirls abound.

Nature emulating industry, 

Churning out, strategising, preparing ground, 

For the next turn of the wheel and fleet footed seasonal shift into winter's hostile grip.

In the UK, we always associate Christmas with snow and ice, courtesy of influences from Christina Rossetti's In the Bleak Midwinter to Charles Dickens and the London Frost Fayres.  A good example of the power of literature.  I find this season truly special.  Still not convinced?  

Here are some photos from yesterday's ground frost in the garden.  It's still with us in fact.  



Spending time indoors also stimulates creativity.  On drawing the curtains the other evening, I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the window and quite liked the slight distortion the window panes created.  I had also been staring at the branches of our silver birch tree outside, illuminated by moonlight and decided to try and capture this natural "double exposure" effect.  The first effort created muted tones and a slightly ghostly self portrait.

The second, captured a hint of the moonlit branches, bringing the outside in and adding a scarring effect to the image.


Maybe I've been spending too long inside.  It's quite possibly I'm unravelling.  Who knows?

For the record, there have been plenty of outings, but I'll save those for next time as we gain ground on Christmas.




 

11 comments:

  1. Like you, I love a clear distinction between seasons, and I would actually find it very boring to live in a part of the world where the weather is always mild and sunny. That said, I have been feeling the cold more than I have in the past couple of years, quite possibly because we have been spoiled with unseasonably warm weather for so long.
    I'm loving your magical frosty photos and double exposure effect experiments. Your poetic Winter reflections are very evocative and thank you for sharing the origins of the word yule! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann. I agree with you and also about feeling the cold more. I have a pair of recycled cashmere wrist warmers. Cashmere allegedly helps regulate body temperature. They really help. I even wear them inside! xxx

      Delete
  2. love this post!!
    because - i love winter. real winter. the winter that is the usual one in the north east of middle europe...... the damp cold, darkness of the december when the doors to the other world are wide open and the bright white, dry cold of february that has the promise of spring already in it.
    you captured the athmosphere perfectly in your photos and text. wonderful. thank you!!
    stay warm! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Beate. I didn't call myself Winter Peach for nothing! ;-D Hope you're back to full health! xxx

      Delete
    2. of cause - WINTER PEACH!! actually it was that name on top of a comment somewhere that made me going to you blog!
      .....despite the nasty arthritis..... yes. thank you!! xxx

      Delete
  3. Your words and pictures are magical. Those rare sunny and frosty days can be gorgeous but the incessant gloom sucks the life out of me! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I imagine it's a bit of shock to the system for you both! xxx

      Delete
  4. Raveling or unraveling? It's the same thing!

    Love your beautiful images. We had a very sudden switch of weather here on Canada's west coast (very similar clime to the UK). The early frosts were so pretty, but brrr, I could do without the ultra-cold temps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either! Thanks Sheila. Very beautiful, but quite a shock to the system for sure.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

A Wondercrump Weekend

  Those of you not reared on Roald Dahl books might wonder what this title's all about.  "Wondercrump" is one of Dahl's in...