Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Staying In Is The New Going Out

With more positive UK news pertaining to Covid and restrictions easing, it seems that people are falling into two camps; those who are chomping at the bit to return to normal and those who are a little more reticent (post Covid anxiety).

A couple of months ago, I was desperate to experience a drink in a beer garden with other people, but somehow, now I'm allowed, I've gone off the boil.  I don't think the weather helps - here's my Bank Holiday Monday image -

...but I also believe that Covid has made me realise that I don't always have to go out to have a good time and at the moment, with only a few weeks to go until we are both fully vaccinated, we're quite happy to carry on as we are.

That said, we have confirmed our first trading event of the year - the Mini & VW Bus Meet in our home town next month.  It's a particularly relaxed event, minutes from our doorstep and the perfect way to ease us back into society!

I also caught up with my friend Caroline over at Comer Woods last Friday, near the NT's Dudmaston Estate.  We got horribly lost and abandoned our planned route in favour of the tried and tested perimeter footpath, but it was great to catch up over a coffee at the Shepherd's Hut in the sunshine.  We talked so much, I failed to get any photographic evidence of this meeting, so here's one from a few years back, taken on an icy pond.


As we emerge from the pandemic, the local photography community has started making tentative plans to meet once more and social media is awash with images of a world seen anew.  There is also a planned Covid One Year On (A Retrospective) Exhibition in Brum scheduled for later in the year.  Here's my submission (a composite image of a dawn walk photograph taken during the first lockdown and a double rainbow I captured over Kingswinford).  For me, this photograph evokes the feelings of isolation and uncertainty in a world-turned-upside-down and reminds me of the disruption to our usual sleep patterns.  The addition of the symbolic double rainbow adds a slightly surreal quality and hints at better times to come.   I'll keep you posted.


Bank Holiday was marred by a somewhat lacklustre Line of Duty finale and the total washout that was Monday.  

This was the sight that greeted me on Monday morning.  Clearly enjoying the moist weather conditions, I have christened him Disco Snail, due to the pink furniture and greenery taking on neon qualities.  


At least the garden and pond benefitted from the rainfall.

Tree Peony


I took the opportunity to drink gin (Greenall's Bluberry Gin) and to photograph some textures, including a dusty pane of glass - not necessarily in that order.  There is a method in my madness.  See if you can spot where I have used it in this blog.

On the upside, we purchased paint (Peacock Teal) to repaint our patio wall and a raspberry bush.  We already have one in the garden, but for some reason, we planted it in possibly the worst spot in the garden and although it survives, we're lucky to get a handful of raspberries off it every Autumn.  This £2.50 bargain has been planted in a pot where I can keep an eye on it.



The remaining tulip and snowdrop bulbs Gareth bodged into the ground a little too late last year, have come up trumps in one of the shadiest parts of the garden.  The tulips were to be planted in full sun too.  Only Gareth can break all the rules and still manage to pull it off.

Spring Corner

Meanwhile, the second batch of tulips (can't remember which variety sadly) have yet to flower.  They have remained like this, in their static embrace, for the best part of three weeks.


My favourites, the forget me nots, are making a bit of a splash too this year.  I'm happy to let them run wild.


The Hollyhock seedlings have been individually potted and are now in the cold frame, for better or for worse.  I just don't have enough windowsill space.


The pond remains the exclusive domain of the pond skater, but here are some other garden visitors.  

Blossom Buddies

Shield Bug

We're hoping that as soon as the night time temperatures reach a constant above zero temperature, the frogs will arrive.  Never seen it applied to a garden pond before, but we're banking on the famous Field of Dreams misquote:  "If you build it, they will come."


Bye for now!



2 comments:

  1. Hello Claire, your purple tulips look very handsome, and the hollyhocks very snug in your fabulous cold frame. I think your double rainbow image is perfect! The mini-VW event sounds good fun. They have a big VW event down here (or used to) called 'run to the sun'. One year we made the mistake of trying to navigate Newquay whilst it was on and got stuck in a queue of hundreds of pimped up Beatles and campers :0 Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lulu. We made exactly the same decision to drive through Newquay when Run to the Sun was on. The residents were squirting the cars in the traffic jam with water guns from upstairs windows. I remember it was a hot day and so we were happy to wind down our windows! X

      Delete

It's Art Darling!

It's been a little over a fortnight since I last posted, but it feels like an age.  The weather's been challenging.  Naturally, as s...